Subject: bug#61868: 29.0.60; Eglot: setting "workspace" configurations should be easier

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 19:33:42 +0000

Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]> writes:

> I would suggest adding a refined version of this, using a regular buffer
> for input.  Moreover, one could allow editing the configuration as a
> JSON (perhaps also retaining the option to edit as a plist).  This would
> be a natural extension of the existing
> `eglot-show-workspace-configuration' command.

I like this idea.  I agree it's crazy hard to set and get right.  But
this idea needs to be refined indeed.

I'm not crazy about adding this complexity to Eglot, especially because
there's nothing really eglot-specific about it.  It could be used for
any variable you want to add to the current project's root
.dir-locals.el.  But that involves much more consultation in
emacs-devel.

Here's an idea.  Let's make a bare-bones
eglot-show-workspace-configuration that simplifies this 80%.  The other
20% can for later.

In the patch I sent for the other "workspace configuration" bug, the
.dir-locals.el is consulted late (actually it is even now).  So a simple
implementation of eglot-edit-workspace-configuration could be just:

  (defun eglot-edit-workspace-configuration () (interactive)
    (find-file (expand-file-name ".dir-locals.el" (project-root (project-current)))))

My bet is that that two-liner would go a long way.

João