Subject: bug#61841: ‘guix shell’ computes different package derivation than ‘guix build’

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 22:34:09 +0100

Howdy,

Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Look at this weird phenomenon.
>>
>> First, with ‘guix build’, everything works as expected:
>> [...]
>> But now ‘guix shell’ (same revision) wants to build ungoogled-chromium:
>> [...]
>> Why does ‘guix shell’ want to build a different derivation for the same
>> package?
>
> Funnily enough, I don't have that problem locally: the `guix shell`
> invocation only tells me it's gonna build a profile derivation (I don't
> have ungoogled-chromium in my store btw), and the input derivation for
> that profile is the same as for `guix build`.

It was fixed on Monday though, so perhaps you’re using a known-good
revision?

Anyway there are still people complaining about “lack of
ungoogled-chromium substitutes” (most likely: wrong ungoogled-chromium
derivation) right now on IRC.

Ludo’.