Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] gnu: opencl-headers, opencl-clhpp and opencl-icd-loader: Update to 2023.02.06

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:49:45 -0500

To answer your question from another message where you asked how to
describe changes to things like package arguments in the commit
message...

On Sun, Feb 26, 2023 at 10:39:58PM -0800, Andy Tai wrote:
> * gnu/packages/opencl.scm (opencl-clhpp): Update to 2023.02.06
> (opencl-headers): Update to 2023.02.06
> (opencl-icd-loader): Update to 2023.02.06
> [arguments]: Add configure flag to disable CTest building that
> cause errors as tests are meant to be disabled

Basically as you've done here, except that the [arguments] portion
should be within the section for the package that it changes.

In this case, you changed the arguments of opencl-clhpp, so you should
list the changes underneath opencl-clhpp's listing in the commit
message.

More generally, our commit messages are in GNU ChangeLog format, which
describes changes at a code level based on variables (i.e. Guix
packages or functions) and the fields within them.

https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Change-Logs.html

For Guix, if I am unsure, I look for similar commits in our Git log. As
always, feel free to ask for help on IRC or the mailing list.

I tweaked the commit message for you and pushed as
dfcf1d5d6a56d0cabeec4836bab1f1f1f063a0e1