Subject: Re: bug#61790: [PATCH core-updates 0/5] Package cleanups: Guile, GnuTLS, ncurses

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 18:16:46 +0100

Hello!

Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I am not too worried about a world rebuild, but more about introducing new
> build failures, leading to indefinite delays. At first glance, the patches
> do not look like they have a high risk, but who knows?

[…]

> Maybe it would be safer to leave them out for the moment, and to start
> a feature branch "core" right after the core-updates merge?

There’s always a risk of course, though I think it’s pretty low in this
case (I built everything up to guile{,2.2}-gnutls, which includes like
8h spent in ‘nss’ tests).  Removing the dependency of GnuTLS on Guile is
the most desirable part; the rest is more cosmetic.

We can delay that until after ‘core-updates’ too, but that might take a
while since <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/228947/dashboard> stills shows
quite a bit of red.  :-)

Thoughts?  Tough choices!

Ludo’.