Subject: bug#6179: OSX: Emacs.app is loading files specified by relative pathname twice

From: Roy Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 19:46:29 -0700

Package: emacs
Version: 23.2

I've noticed strange loading behavior for Emacs.app when I wrap it with a
script:

#!/bin/bash

/Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs "$@"

Here are my observations:
1) For files specified with --find-file and --find and --visit, loading goes
fine.
2) For files specified with absolute paths, loading is also fine.
3) For files specified with relative pathnames, things start getting weird.
 For example, loading "a/b/c/d.txt" will load the desired file, but it will
then try to load "a/b/c/a/b/c/d.txt", which clearly doesn't exist.  It's as
if directory "a/b/c" has been added to some sort of search path (in addition
to $PWD) in which emacs then relatively searches for "a/b/c/d.txt", thus
resulting in the joined result "a/b/c/a/b/c/d.txt".

I don't know if this should be a bug, since the desired usage of Emacs.app
is to run through the window manager (some form of "open"), which is a
sheltered environment.
I've built Emacs.app from MacPorts, which, from what I can tell, introduces
no special modifications or patches, and so I believe that this defect is
repeatable.

-Roy