Subject: Re: bug#61782: About some warning building Emacs master on MSYS2/MINGW64 [autogen, configure]

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 12:41:25 -0800

On 2/27/23 03:13, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 22:34:35 +0100 (CET)
>> From: Angelo Graziosi <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>>
>>>> $ ./autogen.sh
>>>> [...]
>>>> Running 'autoreconf -fi -I m4' ...
>>>> ac-wrapper: autoreconf: warning: auto-detected versions not found ( ); falling back to latest available
>>>> You can now run './configure'.
>>>
>>> The first one doesn't happen here.
>>
>> For the sake of completeness, someone made a deep analysis of that warning: https://github.com/msys2/MSYS2-packages/issues/3588
> 
> Thanks.
> 
> Paul, is there something we should do about this nuisance?  I'm okay
> with doing nothing if what we have is a reasonable compromise.

I'd like to know why that warning is being given before trying to 
suppress it, as it could be a valid version-mismatch warning for that 
user's build configuration.

For what it's worth, I don't get the warning when running the latest 
autotools-wrappers on Fedora 37. I got my copy of autotools-wrappers 
from <https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/autotools-wrappers.git/> commit 
afe80def609c91d72df73837ce2c51fed8b69f28. Perhaps the user in question 
could try that version of autotools-wrappers.

I'll cc this to Sam James to see if he has any advice about this. Sam, 
the thread is in <https://bugs.gnu.org/61782>.