Subject: bug#61781: 28.2; (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil) causes weird next-line behavior in *Help*

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 09:10:17 -0400

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
>>> Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 17:32:09 -0500
>>>
>>> >From emacs -Q:
>>>
>>> 1. M-: (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil) RET
>>> 2. Open up a help buffer, e.g. C-x 4 C-h
>>> 3. Move point to the link for the first binding (find-file-other-window)
>>> 4. C-n
>>> 5. Observe that in addition to moving down, point also moves back one
>>>    column (as if we had hit C-b).
>>>
>>> Without indent-tabs-mode set to nil, next-line stays in the same column.
>>
>> I can reproduce this in Emacs 28.2, but not in Emacs 29, since
>> describe-prefix-bindings in Emacs 29 no longer heeds indent-tabs-mode,
>> it always inserts tabs.  So if this problem still exists in Emacs 29,
>> you or someone else will have to come up with a different reproducer.
>
> Ping.  Specer, is this an issue for you in Emacs 29?  If so, could you
> come up with a different reproducer?  Thanks in advance.

I managed to reproduce this in Emacs 28 even without indent-tabs-mode,
but it was fixed in Emacs 29 in c825c825256475ac5c74882811a44228140f18ee
by changing the help-key-binding face to draw a thinner box.
1b30b4dbc0dcaac02e5a15ff53da476e4680aced actually adds a comment
describing exactly this issue and how the previous change fixed it :)

So this can be closed.