Subject: Re: bug#61763: 30.0.50; Image Cache Size growth

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 13:19:20 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> Maybe we should have parameter (maybe a custom) that limit this
>> growth up to a certain point and then start uncaching older images.
>> WDYT?
>
> We cannot uncache an image that is being displayed in some window.
> Doing so would immediately cause a crash on the next redisplay cycle.
> So lowering the eviction delay is the mechanism you should use,
> assuming it helps in your use case.  Did you try that, and if you did,
> did it help?  For how much time do you display each image before you
> discard its buffer or delete its window?

I've try with image-cache-eviction-delay at 30 seconds and I never
exceed 700MiB as Image Cache and never hit a "Memory exhausted".  So
this is solved for this use case.  Thanks for your patience Eli!
-- 
Manuel Giraud