Subject: Re: [informatique] Re: bug#61748: 27.2; Eglot should use shell-file-name when launching the language server for a remote file

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 23:41:28 +0000

Jérôme M. Berger <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2/27/23 1:05 PM, João Távora wrote:

>     I already had `tramp-own-remote-path` in my
> `tramp-remote-path`. But I don't use `~/.profile` to setup my path so
> it doesn't help for Eglot. Note that Eglot is the only tool which has
> this issue: others (e.g. `counsel-rg`) work fine over Tramp and pick
> up the path from `zsh` correctly.

I don't know what counsel is or how it deals with this issue, but feel
free to share any relevant code here.  Even though "make it work" hacks
abound, Eglot promotes separation of responsibilities.  Being is core is
great for figuring out exactly where fixes should go.  Eglot's business
is LSP.  TRAMP accesses remote files.  Eglot knows close to nothing
about TRAMP or how it does its file access job.  After all the 'T' in
tramp stands for "transparent".

Not ruling out changes to Eglot, but it look like what is needed here
for things to work out-of-the-box (or nearly so) is a way to tell Emacs
something like: "Whevever I'm working on files of this remote server,
find executables in the remote PATH.  Calculate PATH to be the same as
if I had just logged in interactively as the user I'm accessing this
file with."  Whether this can be a good default or something you set in
your configuration is not up to me, but often what works for you does
not work for someone else.

João