Subject: bug#61748: 27.2; Eglot should use shell-file-name when launching the language server for a remote file

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 08:39:45 +0100 (CET)

>From https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot/issues/1175

# Steps to reproduce:

- On the remote machine:
    - Install a language server in a non-standard path (e.g. `rust-analyzer`, which installs in a subdirectory under `$HOME` and not `/usr/bin`)
    - Make sure that the server is in the path for a shell other than `sh` (e.g. set the path in `.zprofile` for `zsh`).
- On the local machine:
    - Open a file remotely through TRAMP
    - Set `shell-file-name` to the shell you're using on the remote (e.g. `(setq shell-file-name "zsh")`)
    - <key>M-x</key> `eglot`.

# Expected result:

Eglot should start

# Actual result:

Eglot asks `Enter program to execute (or <host>:<port>):`, then when I type `rust-analyzer` it fails with message `[jsonrpc] Server exited with status 127`. Looking at `eglot-events-buffer`, it is clear that eglot tried to use `sh` to start the server.

# Partial fix

The server starts correctly if I change function `eglot--cmd` to use `(or shell-file-name "sh")` instead of plain `"sh"`, e.g.:

```lisp
(defun eglot--cmd (contact)
  "Helper for `eglot--connect'."
  (if (file-remote-p default-directory)
      ;; TODO: this seems like a bug, although it’s everywhere. For
      ;; some reason, for remote connections only, over a pipe, we
      ;; need to turn off line buffering on the tty.
      ;;
      ;; Not only does this seem like there should be a better way,
      ;; but it almost certainly doesn’t work on non-unix systems.
      (list (or shell-file-name "sh") "-c"
            (string-join (cons "stty raw > /dev/null;"
                               (mapcar #'shell-quote-argument contact))
                         " "))
    contact))
```

It still fails to autodetect the server and asks for the program to execute though.

----

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2021-03-26 built on CIRROCUMULUS
Repository revision: deef5efafb70f4b171265b896505b92b6eef24e6
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19042
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise (v10.0.2009.19042.2604)

Recent messages:
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
Quit
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
Timer #[257 "\303!\205!\0r\211q\210\203\0	\203\0\304\305\306\307	$\210\310\311!\210\312\211)\207" [flymake-mode flymake-no-changes-timeout flymake-timer buffer-live-p flymake--log-1 :debug flymake "starting syntax check after idle for %s seconds" flymake-start t nil] 6 "

(fn BUFFER)"] ran for 00:00:17 from 08:15:39 to 08:15:56
Couldn’t find local shell prompt for C:/ProgramData/chocolatey/lib/Emacs/tools/emacs/libexec/emacs/27.2/x86_64-w64-mingw32/cmdproxy.exe
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
Timer flycheck--handle-idle-trigger ran for 00:00:49 from 08:15:38 to 08:16:27
Auto-saving...

Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY W32NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2
HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: FRA
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Rust

Minor modes in effect:
  flymake-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  global-leerzeichen-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  ws-butler-global-mode: t
  ws-butler-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  tabbar-mwheel-mode: t
  tabbar-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-local-symbol-highlight-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-summary-mode: t
  global-semantic-highlight-func-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  phi-rectangle-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  highlight-doxygen-global-mode: t
  global-dash-fontify-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  bar-cursor-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
d:/home/.emacs.d/elpa/jsonrpc-1.0.16/jsonrpc hides c:/ProgramData/chocolatey/lib/Emacs/tools/emacs/share/emacs/27.2/lisp/jsonrpc
d:/home/.emacs.d/elpa/xref-1.6.2/xref hides c:/ProgramData/chocolatey/lib/Emacs/tools/emacs/share/emacs/27.2/lisp/progmodes/xref
d:/home/.emacs.d/elpa/project-0.9.8/project hides c:/ProgramData/chocolatey/lib/Emacs/tools/emacs/share/emacs/27.2/lisp/progmodes/project
d:/home/.emacs.d/elpa/flymake-1.2.2/flymake hides c:/ProgramData/chocolatey/lib/Emacs/tools/emacs/share/emacs/27.2/lisp/progmodes/flymake
d:/home/.emacs.d/packages/mpuz hides c:/ProgramData/chocolatey/lib/Emacs/tools/emacs/share/emacs/27.2/lisp/play/mpuz
d:/home/.emacs.d/elpa/seq-2.23/seq hides c:/ProgramData/chocolatey/lib/Emacs/tools/emacs/share/emacs/27.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/seq
d:/home/.emacs.d/elpa/eldoc-1.13.0/eldoc hides c:/ProgramData/chocolatey/lib/Emacs/tools/emacs/share/emacs/27.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/eldoc

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail tramp-cmds counsel-gtags minimal-session-saver
css-mode sgml-mode eww mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
url-queue url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
mailcap shr text-property-search url-cookie url-domsuf puny svg xml dom
ffap eieio-opt semantic/sb speedbar sb-image dframe eglot
external-completion array filenotify jsonrpc ert ewoc debug backtrace
flymake-proc flymake warnings url-util cl-print help-fns radix-tree
web-mode bitbake mmm-mode mmm-univ mmm-class mmm-region mmm-auto
mmm-vars mmm-utils mmm-compat markdown-mode yaml-mode python sh-script
smie executable semantic/bovine/make semantic/bovine/make-by make-mode
toml-mode conf-mode racer f etags fileloop generator add-log
semantic/tag-file semantic/imenu semantic/db-file data-debug cedet-files
semantic/bovine/c semantic/decorate/include semantic/decorate/mode
semantic/decorate semantic/bovine/c-by semantic/lex-spp
semantic/bovine/gcc semantic/dep semantic/bovine semantic/analyze/refs
semantic/db-find semantic/db-ref hideif hideshow jb-prog-licences
jb-prog-font align jb-cc-mode cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs flycheck-rust flycheck
rust-utils rust-mode rust-rustfmt rust-playpen rust-compile rust-cargo
tramp-cache vc-dispatcher vc-hg diff-mode desktop frameset thingatpt
counsel xdg xref project dired dired-loaddefs swiper matlab matlab-scan
matlab-syntax matlab-compat pulse rainbow-delimiters windmove s server
ibuf-macs which-func imenu tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time
iso8601 time-date format-spec recentf tree-widget linum hl-line
leerzeichen yasnippet ws-butler cus-edit wid-edit whitespace tabbar
smart-mode-line-light-theme smart-mode-line rich-minority
semantic/db-mode semantic/idle semantic/analyze semantic/sort
semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn semantic/db eieio-base
semantic/format ezimage semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/ctxt
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic pp semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local find-func cedet phi-rectangle rect kconfig-mode
derived ivy-hydra hydra lv ivy ivy-faces ivy-overlay colir color flx avy
ht highlight-doxygen noutline outline dash company-oddmuse company-files
company-capf company-cmake company-clang company-semantic company-css
company-nxml company-bbdb company-keywords company-gtags
company-template company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company pcase
bar-cursor peg cl-extra help-mode advice use-package use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf edmacro kmacro compile comint
ansi-color ring paren avoid delsel cus-start cus-load epg epg-config
gnu-elpa-keyring-update rx info package easymenu browse-url url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1041436 370370)
 (symbols 48 44596 7)
 (strings 32 219890 55700)
 (string-bytes 1 6131935)
 (vectors 16 115782)
 (vector-slots 8 2654593 430756)
 (floats 8 347 768)
 (intervals 56 50094 1190)
 (buffers 1000 168))