Subject: Re: 23.2; mouse-sel-mode doc is misleading

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 03:10:06 +0200

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From what I could gather by experimenting, 99.99% of the behavior that
> is documented is already the mouse behavior in Emacs, that is, with
> mouse-sel-mode turned off.
>
> AFAICT, the only real difference is that when the mode is turned on the
> selection is not copied to the kill-ring.  The kill-ring is unaffected,
> except if you do some specific extra things.

[...]

> If I had to guess, I'd guess that this doc has never been updated since
> Emacs itself adopted the same selection behavior.  And that was eons
> ago.  IOW, maybe mouse-sel-mode was just the first code to provide such
> behavior - dunno.

Yes, looking at the documentation, I think that's right.

Perhaps mouse-sel-mode should be marked as deprecated?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/