Subject: Re: bug#61733: emacs-dump-portable fails in 29.0.60

From: Lynn Winebarger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 17:48:19 -0500

On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 9:50 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > From: Lynn Winebarger <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 07:55:53 -0500
> >
> > These issues make switching to 29.1 a non-starter for users relying on
> > redumping to make startup time reasonable.
>
> No one should be relying on redumping, because Emacs does not (yet)
> support that.

In what sense?  As of 28.2, practically every library included with
the emacs distribution that can be loaded successfully can be followed
by an invocation of dump-emacs-portable without an error, and
certainly without any core dumps.  Those dump files can also be loaded
successfully.
The normal-top-level function is brittle, as is the system for setting
customization variables at startup.  But those issues are separate
from the redumping functionality, by which I only mean invoking
dump-emacs-portable outside of dump-mode.

Lynn