Subject: bug#61726: [PATCH] Eglot: Support positionEncoding capability

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 19:28:51 +0000

On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 7:20 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> > Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 19:52:41 +0100
> >
> > > In general, reporting coordinates in columns between programs is
> > > problematic.  We see this in many cases, starting with spellers.
> >
> > Yes, I agree this is problematic -- as soon as you leave the wonderful
> > world of UTF-8.  The point of this patch is to stay in that wonderful
> > world as long as the server agrees to it, which I hope will become
> > commonplace.
>
> Actually, the really "wonderful" world would be if the offsets were
> reported in character codepoints, because buffer positions are both
> the easiest for us to count and are unequivocally defined.

I quite agree.  Is this "count in codepoints" capability defined
in LSP at all?  If so, I'd rather we add support for it over other
slightly less imperfect methods.  If not, we should lobby in LSP
forums for its addition to the LSP spec.

João