Subject: bug#61726: [PATCH] Eglot: Support positionEncoding capability

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 12:24:19 +0000

On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 12:04 PM Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2023 at 11:32, João Távora wrote:

> IIUC correctly, clangd was the group that pushed for this new LSP spec,
> but being a such a big project they surely support the official way of
> counting.

Yep, they do. This was a bug report from our end and they fixed it
some time ago, IIRC.

> Anyway, more than efficiency, this to me is an aesthetic question.  The
> UTF-16 way of counting of the original LSP spec is a totally misguided
> idea and should be avoided.

I agree that it is poor design.  But if it works and isn't particularly
slow, then I don't think it's a priority to change things in Eglot,
mostly because that adds complexity for relatively little value.
That it isn't "priority" doesn't mean I would oppose it if you work
things out with an encoding expert like Eli and give it suitable
testing.

João