Subject: bug#61726: [PATCH] Eglot: Support positionEncoding capability

From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 12:29:02 +0100

On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 at 12:57, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 19:08:14 +0100
>> 
>> I also didn't attempt to make 'eglot-move-to-bytewise-column' and
>> 'eglot-bytewise-column' "correct" in the cases where 'json-serialize'
>> throws an error.  I think it's clear that Eli and I have different
>> definitions "correctness" in this context, but Eli's proposal requires
>> substantial further work, including recovering from possible errors
>> raising from 'json-serialize'.
>
> No, it doesn't.  All I'm asking for is to use encode-coding-string or
> encode-coding-region to measure the actual number of bytes in a UTF-8
> sequence that corresponds to a region of text.  Nothing else is
> required or requested.
>
> Can you please humor me and implement eglot-bytewise-column like that?

I would be glad to do that, but unfortunately I'd have to ask your
advice as to how to make the corresponding adaptation of
eglot-move-to-bytewise-column.