Subject: bug#61726: [PATCH] Eglot: Support positionEncoding capability

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 19:02:08 +0200

> From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 16:56:57 +0100
> 
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 at 17:23, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > It is not more expensive.  The underlying functions we call are
> > already capable of producing replacements instead of characters that
> > cannot be encoded in UTF-8.  We just don't use those capabilities in
> > json.c because some of us had strong feelings about signaling an error
> > in these situations.
> 
> I didn't track down byte-to-position and position-bytes in the C code.
> So you are saying they're as expensive as encode-coding-string?  If (and
> only if) this is the case, then I take back my point :-).

I didn't mean those functions, I meant the functions used by json.c to
encode strings.