Subject: guix home reconfigure on a fresh system fails

From: wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 16:40:50 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a Guix machine. I did clean install using guix system init,
I can provide the config, but it does not seem to be relevant. After that I
decided to try the guix home reconfigure command, and it ended with:

    guix home: error: while creating directory `/var/guix/profiles/per-user/wolf': Permission denied
    hint: Please create the `/var/guix/profiles/per-user/wolf' directory, with you as the owner.

The workaround I used was to just install any random package:

    guix install coreutils
    guix remove coreutils

After that running

    guix home reconfigure config.scm

started to work just fine. However that does not seem like proper way, but more
like a workaround. I was adviced on IRC to report it, so here I am.

W.

-- 
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.