Subject: bug#61712: closed (Re: bug#61712: 30.0.50; Want way to generate VC log for arbitrary list of files)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 22:20:02 +0000

Your bug report

#61712: 30.0.50; Want way to generate VC log for arbitrary list of files

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
61712: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=61712
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#61712: 30.0.50; Want way to generate VC log for arbitrary list of files
From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
To: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 15:19:39 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

On Wed 22 Feb 2023 at 09:07PM +02, Juri Linkov wrote:

>> Yesterday I wanted to review changes to some documentation files in a
>> repository; roughly, `git log -- dgit.1 *.pod`.  I would have preferred
>> to have the result in a *vc-log* buffer, but I don't believe we have a
>> command to do this.  'C-x v !' can't do it.
>>
>> If there were changes to each of the files, they would have appeared in
>> *vc-dir*, and I could have used the new vc-dir-mark-by-regexp, and then
>> vc-print-log would have done the right thing.
>>
>> So, I wonder if we could have a way to insert up-to-date files into
>> *vc-dir*, so that they could be used to select an arbitrary VC fileset?
>
> It's easy to do this in the Dired buffer by marking the required files.
> I'm doing this all the time since Dired supports all vc commands.

Oh, I didn't know dired could do this.  My apologies.

-- 
Sean Whitton

Subject: 30.0.50; Want way to generate VC log for arbitrary list of files
From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 10:25:46 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Yesterday I wanted to review changes to some documentation files in a
repository; roughly, `git log -- dgit.1 *.pod`.  I would have preferred
to have the result in a *vc-log* buffer, but I don't believe we have a
command to do this.  'C-x v !' can't do it.

If there were changes to each of the files, they would have appeared in
*vc-dir*, and I could have used the new vc-dir-mark-by-regexp, and then
vc-print-log would have done the right thing.

So, I wonder if we could have a way to insert up-to-date files into
*vc-dir*, so that they could be used to select an arbitrary VC fileset?

-- 
Sean Whitton