Subject: RE: bug#6171: Emacs 23.2 -- tmm-menubar not showing keyboard shortcuts

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 09:02:21 -0700

> Some of the menus in a tmm-menubar are not showing the keyboard
> shortcuts. Listing the keyboard shortcuts is helpful for those
> learning how to use Emacs.

I can confirm this regression. And I can confirm that it starts with Emacs 23.1,
not 23.2.  In Emacs 22.3 (as well as in Emacs 21 and 20), there is no such
problem. 

The same thing happens for my library `lacarte.el', which, like `tmm.el', lets
you use the keyboard to access menu-bar menus.
(http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/lacarte.el)

The problem is in the menus themselves, not in `tmm.el'. The menus are missing
the keyboard-shortcut strings. For example:

In Emacs 22:

(menu-item "Next Dirline" dired-next-dirline ([62] . "  (>)")
           :help "Move to next directory-file line")

In Emacs 23:

(menu-item "Next Dirline" dired-next-dirline
           :help "Move to next directory-file line")

I hope that this will be fixed. Showing the keyboard shortcuts here helps users
learn them.

I see nothing in NEWS about such a change. One can hope that means that this was
not an intentional change. ;-)