Subject: 28.2; file-modes-symbolic-to-number inconsistency

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 13:49:08 +0000

Hello all,

It is unclear how to use MODES argument of
file-modes-symbolic-to-number, actually the correct way to use it is the
second example below, I found it by reading the read-file-modes code and
saw it removes all "-" to setup MODES arg to pass to
file-modes-symbolic-to-number. I was surprized to see the first example
is not supported, thus the docstring of file-modes-symbolic-to-number is
pretty unclear:

,----
| MODES is the string to convert, it should match
| "[ugoa]*([+-=][rwxXstugo]*)+,...".
`----

At least an example in docstring or manual would be welcome.

(format "%o" (file-modes-symbolic-to-number "u=rwx,g=r-x,o=---"))
"740"
(format "%o" (file-modes-symbolic-to-number "u=rwx,g=rx,o="))
"750"

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, Motif Version 2.3.8, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2023-02-14 built on IPad-S340
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Linux Mint 21.1

Configured using:
 'configure CFLAGS=-O8 --with-mailutils --with-cairo --without-dbus
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings --with-x-toolkit=motif'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE
XIM XPM MOTIF ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: 

Minor modes in effect:
  emms-mode-line-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-display-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  psession-savehist-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  tv-save-place-mode: t
  helm-epa-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  helm-top-poll-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
  helm-ff-icon-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-popup-tip-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  dired-async-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  gcmh-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow epa-mail face-remap emacsbug helm-ring tabify add-log which-func
cus-start helm-imenu helm-dabbrev cl-indent rect smerge-mode eieio-opt
speedbar ezimage dframe shortdoc helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval
cl-print edebug backtrace helm-x-files helm-for-files tramp-cache
tramp-sh helm-bookmark helm-info term ehelp helm-apt image-file
image-converter char-fold emms-config emms-librefm-stream
emms-librefm-scrobbler emms-playlist-limit emms-i18n emms-history
emms-score emms-stream-info emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks
emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser emms-volume
emms-volume-sndioctl emms-volume-mixerctl emms-volume-pulse
emms-volume-amixer emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-lyrics emms-url emms-streams emms-show-all
emms-tag-editor emms-tag-tracktag emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache
emms-info-native bindat emms-info-exiftool emms-info-tinytag
emms-info-metaflac emms-info-opusinfo emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mpv
emms-playing-time emms-info emms-later-do emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
emms-setup emms emms-compat emms-auto helm-external mm-archive sort
smiley gnus-cite mail-extr qp gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table
nndraft nnmh nnfolder cl-extra epa-file gnutls network-stream nsm
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp
gnus-cache nnir addressbook-bookmark tv-mu4e-config config-w3m
mu4e-contrib eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg
esh-module esh-groups esh-util mu4e-patch mu4e mu4e-org org-config
ob-gnuplot org-crypt org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol rx org-keys oc org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs find-func mu4e-notification notifications
mu4e-main mu4e-view gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win gnus nnheader appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions smtpmail
sendmail mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark mu4e-message
shr kinsoku svg dom flow-fill hl-line mu4e-contacts mu4e-update
mu4e-folders mu4e-context mu4e-query-items mu4e-server mu4e-modeline
mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers mu4e-config mu4e-window bookmark ido message rmc
puny rfc822 mml mml-sec gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
mu4e-obsolete ffap tramp-archive tramp-gvfs dbus helm-firefox helm-net
xml helm-ls-git vc-git diff-mode vc vc-dispatcher flymake-shellcheck
flymake-proc flymake project warnings sh-script smie executable checkdoc
lisp-mnt mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr thingatpt bug-reference naquadah-theme server imenu psession
frameset undo-tree diff queue pcase git-gutter mule-util dired-extension
time winner describe-variable help-fns radix-tree help-mode tv-utils
tv-save-place.el advice init-helm epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
helm-epa isl helm-descbinds all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces
data-material data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons
data-faicons data-alltheicons cus-edit pp wid-edit helm-sys popup
helm-adaptive helm-mode helm-misc helm-files image-dired image-mode exif
filenotify tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp
helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep wgrep-helm wgrep
grep compile text-property-search comint ring helm-regexp format-spec
ansi-color helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm-extensions-autoloads
helm-autoloads helm helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu helm-core
easy-mmode async-bytecomp helm-source helm-multi-match helm-lib
dired-async async dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs mb-depth edmacro kmacro
avoid cus-load gcmh info w3m-load package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify
lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo motif x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 869050 440363)
 (symbols 48 37684 5)
 (strings 32 231743 75250)
 (string-bytes 1 11819997)
 (vectors 16 95498)
 (vector-slots 8 1929698 276469)
 (floats 8 5386 4131)
 (intervals 56 27471 12074)
 (buffers 992 160))
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

-- 
Thierry