Subject: Re: bug#61704: 29.0.60; Crash in get_narrowed_begv

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 21:07:57 +0800

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> So OT1H we really should set proper minimum size hints for the WM to
>>> avoid that resize_frame_windows has to deal with frame sizes it
>>> intrinsically cannot handle
>>
>> Now this is not possible, as the window manager (or any X client, for
>> that matter) has free reign to do whatever it wants with another
>> client's window.  Unless of course X server security policy prevents it.
>
> If a window manager ignores our size hints, a user is free to choose one
> which doesn't.  xfwm here respectfully honors the size hints it gets
> from Firefox or Thunderbird.  Windows respects minimum size constraints
> just as well, BTW.
>
> martin

The problem here is that Emacs should not crash, no matter what some
other X client, such as the WM, does.

X programs are traditionally expected to not crash when run under a
window manager that leaves features unimplemented, but to provide some
kind of graceful fallback instead.