Subject: 29.0.60; Emacs crashes on C-x 8 RET

From: Kai Ma <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 16:00:29 +0800

Emacs sometimes crashes on C-x 8 RET, ie. (insert-char).

Sorry, but I didn't find a way to reproduce this issue with emacs -Q.

This seems to be related to vertico-posframe-mode (which puts the
minibuffer in a separate child frame).  I can confirm that if I disable
vertico-posframe-mode, this problem disappears.

Attached are the system-generated crash report and a backtrace obtained
from LLDB.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 4, x86_64-apple-darwin22.3.0, NS
 appkit-2299.40 Version 13.2.1 (Build 22D68)) of 2023-02-22 built on
 Kais-MacBook.local
Repository revision: fb5dbf6de73fa034338448f1029c55f85d1078b4
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2299
System Description:  macOS 13.2.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns --with-xwidgets'

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM XWIDGETS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: zh_CN.utf-8
  value of $LANG: zh_CN.utf-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  global-wakatime-mode: t
  wakatime-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  hl-todo-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  symbol-overlay-mode: t
  diff-hl-margin-local-mode: t
  diff-hl-margin-mode: t
  diff-hl-mode: t
  page-break-lines-mode: t
  gcmh-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  doom-modeline-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  winum-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  solaire-global-mode: t
  solaire-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  vertico-mouse-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  corfu-popupinfo-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  keyfreq-autosave-mode: t
  keyfreq-mode: t
  prescient-persist-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-ligature-mode: t
  ligature-mode: t
  ns-auto-titlebar-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-history-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/kaima/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230214.1525/transient hides /Users/kaima/src/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort ecomplete mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail vertico-directory wakatime-mode autoinsert hideshow
display-line-numbers hl-todo rainbow-delimiters symbol-overlay
diff-hl-margin diff-hl-dired advice diff-hl vc-hg vc-git log-view
pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher diff-mode disp-table
page-break-lines gcmh tramp-cache time-stamp tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration cus-start tramp-compat shell
pcomplete parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp format-spec yasnippet doom-modeline
doom-modeline-segments let-alist doom-modeline-env doom-modeline-core
shrink-path f f-shortdoc s winner winum dash which-key hl-line
solaire-mode face-remap projectile project skeleton ibuf-macs find-dired
dired dired-loaddefs grep compile comint ansi-osc ansi-color ibuf-ext
ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs vertico-posframe posframe vertico-mouse vertico
marginalia corfu-popupinfo kind-icon svg-lib color svg dom
corfu-prescient corfu catppuccin-theme desktop frameset keyfreq
prelude-irc prelude-apps alert log4e notifications dbus xml gntp
prelude-mail gnus nnheader gnus-util text-property-search time-date
mail-utils range prelude-os prelude-help prelude-lang-misc
dockerfile-mode sh-script smie treesit executable yaml-mode
prelude-lang-web prelude-lang-haskell prelude-lang-js prelude-lang-ml
prelude-lang-rust prelude-lang-python prelude-lang-cc prelude-lang-lisp
prelude-prog prelude-blog prelude-org prelude-tex prelude-git
prelude-dired prelude-chinese prelude-ibuffer prelude-search prelude-nix
prelude-completion orderless prescient char-fold prelude-project
prelude-ui dashboard derived dashboard-widgets recentf tree-widget
ligature all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material
data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons
data-alltheicons ns-auto-titlebar pixel-scroll cua-base ring
prelude-core dabbrev ffap thingatpt server finder-inf elec-pair diminish
exec-path-from-shell eshell esh-cmd generator esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc
esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util cus-edit pp cus-load icons
wid-edit files-x undohist edmacro kmacro so-long delsel autorevert
filenotify prelude-common prelude-package quelpa-use-package quelpa
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr lisp-mnt help-fns radix-tree use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode prelude-loaddefs no-littering
compat cl-extra help-mode use-package-core gcmh-autoloads
carbon-now-sh-autoloads company-autoloads benchmark-init-autoloads
kind-icon-autoloads pinyinlib-autoloads nix-mode-autoloads
org-roam-ui-autoloads symbol-overlay-autoloads cdlatex-autoloads
go-translate-autoloads ns-auto-titlebar-autoloads no-littering-autoloads
diff-hl-autoloads ccls-autoloads wgrep-autoloads
vertico-posframe-autoloads vertico-autoloads
treemacs-all-the-icons-autoloads merlin-autoloads
org-roam-bibtex-autoloads citre-autoloads rainbow-delimiters-autoloads
helpful-autoloads elisp-refs-autoloads quickrun-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads dired-filter-autoloads org-ref-autoloads
htmlize-autoloads dune-autoloads forge-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase
closql-autoloads lsp-ui-autoloads org-noter-autoloads debbugs-autoloads
vundo-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site geiser-guile-autoloads
page-break-lines-autoloads diredfl-autoloads smartparens-autoloads
citeproc-autoloads cider-autoloads nyan-mode-autoloads
marginalia-autoloads dashboard-autoloads alert-autoloads
codeium-autoloads helm-bibtex-autoloads bibtex-completion-autoloads
org-download-autoloads mini-frame-autoloads queue-autoloads
wakatime-mode-autoloads deft-autoloads git-commit-autoloads
ox-pandoc-autoloads ghub-autoloads all-the-icons-dired-autoloads
dash-at-point-autoloads elfeed-autoloads org-roam-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads emacsql-sqlite-autoloads emacsql-autoloads
js2-mode-autoloads solaire-mode-autoloads ripgrep-autoloads
dumb-jump-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads rustic-autoloads
xterm-color-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads simple-httpd-autoloads
corfu-prescient-autoloads corfu-autoloads gntp-autoloads
clojure-mode-autoloads cape-autoloads which-key-autoloads
geiser-racket-autoloads info-colors-autoloads utop-autoloads
tuareg-autoloads rx caml-autoloads parseedn-autoloads dap-mode-autoloads
lsp-docker-autoloads yaml-autoloads lsp-treemacs-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads modern-cpp-font-lock-autoloads ob-rust-autoloads
org-latex-impatient-autoloads undohist-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
doom-modeline-autoloads shrink-path-autoloads prescient-autoloads
string-inflection-autoloads sly-autoloads hl-todo-autoloads
keyfreq-autoloads speed-type-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads
tablist-autoloads ormolu-autoloads reformatter-autoloads
diminish-autoloads dired-hacks-utils-autoloads embark-consult-autoloads
embark-autoloads org-appear-autoloads sesman-autoloads
nix-sandbox-autoloads flycheck-haskell-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads
flycheck-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads epl-autoloads treepy-autoloads
bui-autoloads combobulate-autoloads quelpa-use-package-autoloads
quelpa-autoloads log4e-autoloads web-mode-autoloads parsebib-autoloads
treemacs-projectile-autoloads projectile-autoloads w3m-load
w3m-autoloads valign-autoloads websocket-autoloads biblio-autoloads
biblio-core-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads dockerfile-mode-autoloads
all-the-icons-ibuffer-autoloads all-the-icons-autoloads geiser-autoloads
parseclj-autoloads orderless-autoloads nov-autoloads esxml-autoloads
kv-autoloads consult-autoloads svg-lib-autoloads
treemacs-tab-bar-autoloads treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads
posframe-autoloads hydra-autoloads pfuture-autoloads
ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads lv-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads spinner-autoloads f-autoloads s-autoloads
ligature-autoloads helm-autoloads helm-core-autoloads async-autoloads
catppuccin-theme-autoloads minimap-autoloads google-translate-autoloads
popup-autoloads winum-autoloads transient-autoloads compat-autoloads
multiple-cursors-autoloads exec-path-from-shell-autoloads
telega-autoloads rainbow-identifiers-autoloads
visual-fill-column-autoloads vterm-autoloads ht-autoloads info
dash-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib china-util rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize
mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads xwidget-internal dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1025353 1011733)
 (symbols 48 43324 773)
 (strings 32 729343 70891)
 (string-bytes 1 39173151)
 (vectors 16 41243)
 (vector-slots 8 1629068 808780)
 (floats 8 733 1037)
 (intervals 56 958 456)
 (buffers 984 12))