Subject: Re: [bug#61686] [PATCH] gnu: Add dropwatch.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 21:01:41 +0100

Hi Bruno,

On 2023-02-25 20:21, Bruno Victal wrote:
>> Do you think it is worth mentioning in the description? AFAICT, Guix
>> does not set this option by default.
> 
> With e701f67246680c81dd111cf7136b936bf7d8718b, this is now set by 
> default.

…on all architectures: it was inconsistently built-in on ARM, and 
missing from x86.  It's now modular everywhere.

\o/

To my pleasant surprise, it's automatically loaded when I start 
dropwatch as a regular user.

\o/

> Is there a reason for dropping the suffix for GitHub? AFAIK it "works"
> but it's not the same url that they give out for cloning.

It works, no quotes.  No technical reason to drop it, but many people 
do, perhaps so it matches the ‘home page’ many GitHubbed projects now 
lack.  It's also provably shorter.

If you feel strongly about keeping it, there's precedent in Guix.  It's 
just very rare (2.2%).  Consistency has its charms.

>> You also need to add
>> 
>>   (file-name (git-file-name name version))
>> 
>> for proper naming in the store.
> 
> Is this always required?

Yes, for git checkouts.

> I assumed the default if unspecified was "good enough" and
> that snippet was used for repositories with problematic names.

Nope.  It'll clone & build fine, but please set a meaningful name for 
humans instead of:

   /gnu/store/ja3blcdqia00k15vpayfc9kzsjijfpw0-git-checkout

Which is also a bonus footgun when someone inexperienced tries to update 
the package without changing the hash, because there's no version+commit 
information in the name.

>>> +    (home-page "https://github.com/nhorman/dropwatch")
>>> +    (synopsis "Kernel dropped packet monitor")

‘Monitor [for] dropped network packets’, or ‘Monitor [for] network 
packets dropped by the kernel’, maybe?  The above (RedHat) version just 
doesn't parse naturally for me.

>> You need separate sentences with two spaces, per Texinfo syntax.
> 
> This is actually not strictly necessary

Still.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.