Subject: bug#61667: 29.0.60; Failure to redisplay

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2024 04:32:07 +0300

On 21/02/2023 04:53, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> This has been happening from time to time recently: I visit a file 
> (either through recents or through project-find-file), and the buffer 
> stays blank for a while, giving an appearance that it's "loading".

FWIW, this problem seems to still be around.

I'm using a Lucid build at the moment, but can reproduce something 
similar using the following steps:

1. Visit the Emacs repository.
2. Call vc-print-root-log.
3. In the lot buffer, repeat this loop:
3.1. Press d (to see the diff).
3.2. Press q to get back to the log buffer.
3.3. Press n to get to the next entry.

 From time to time, on step 3.1 the frame title will get updated with 
the name of the new buffer (*vc-diff*), but the insides of the frame 
will get updated with a visible delay (which varies). Most of the time 
the delay, when it noticeable at all, is <1s and usually <200ms even, so 
it's not something that is a deal-breaker in practice usually, but still 
seems somewhat of a problem.

I can reproduce the above scenario with 'emacs -Q' with Emacs compiled 
with './configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-xdbe=no'.

The original report was made with Ubuntu 22.10, I'm using 23.10 now.

Could this be a normal behavior? That is, having a delay between the 
frame title changing and the insides of the frame updating.