Subject: Re: bug#61667: 29.0.60; Failure to redisplay

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 04:43:33 +0300

On 18/04/2023 04:35, Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army 
knife of text editors wrote:
> What if you only revert this commit on top of master? This change should
> not affect redisplay at all, as it only adds additional mechanisms for
> talking with the input method.

Reminder: ae4ff4f25fbf doesn't build without 9510e8ad682 (and is its 
parent).

Reverting 9510e8ad682 doesn't quite work, at least not too easily:

$ git revert 9510e8ad682
CONFLICT (modify/delete): src/textconv.c deleted in parent of 
9510e8ad682 (Check in new files) and modified in HEAD.  Version HEAD of 
src/textconv.c left in tree.
error: could not revert 9510e8ad682... Check in new files
hint: After resolving the conflicts, mark them with
hint: "git add/rm <pathspec>", then run
hint: "git revert --continue".
hint: You can instead skip this commit with "git revert --skip".
hint: To abort and get back to the state before "git revert",
hint: run "git revert --abort".

And I also tested (and re-tested, several times) the parent of 
ae4ff4f25fbf, which (almost) doesn't have the described problem.

Should I still try reverting the commits on top of the current master? 
Perhaps you can provide a patch to try?