Subject: bug#61667: 29.0.60; Failure to redisplay

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 00:17:45 +0300

On 16/04/2023 22:01, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> This xargs command:
> 
>    '((grep
>       .
>       ;; '-s' because 'git ls-files' can output broken symlinks.
>       "xargs -0 grep <C> --null -snHE -e <R>")
> 
> is not portable: it assumes that there's no limit to the size of shell
> commands that xargs can pass to Grep.  At least on MS-Windows, you
> need to use something like "xargs -0 -s 10000 grep ..." instead.

Thank you. Too bad nobody has reported this in the last several years 
(we've been using this 'xargs ... grep' scheme since before the 
introduction of xref-matches-in-files in 2019).

I was kind of expecting xargs to know MS-Windows' command line limits, 
i.e. from its manual:

   The  largest  allowed
               value  is  system-dependent,  and  is  calculated  as 
the argument length limit for exec, less the size of your environment, 
less 2048 bytes of headroom. ...  xargs automatically adapts to tighter 
constraints.