Subject: bug#61667: 29.0.60; Failure to redisplay

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 19:27:41 +0300

> Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 16:08:26 +0300
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> 1. 'emacs -Q', disable stuff.
> 2. 'C-x p f', visit lisp/emacs-lisp/smie.el.
> 3. Search for something rare using 'C-x p g' (e.g. for "Coq-specific", 
> but not necessarily).
> 4. Press 'q' to exit the search.
> 
> On step 3 or 4, the title bar will get updated noticeably faster than 
> the frame configuration changes.

When you say "gets updated noticeably faster", what exactly do you
mean? by how much time does the redraw of the windows lag after the
title bar update?

It is normal for the frame's title to be updated first, because Emacs
redraws it early during a redisplay cycle.  Only after that, the
display engine examines all the windows and redraws whatever needs to
be updated.  So it could take some short time between the two, perhaps
more if the redisplay of windows requires to redraw a lot.  However,
in your original message today you seemed to say that the windows are
not updated unless you press something like C-n, and that should not
happen.  Did I misunderstand your original report?