Subject: Re: bug#61667: 29.0.60; Failure to redisplay

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 20:19:14 +0800

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks. When trying to run a separate Xorg, at first it failed with no
> access to some tty, and then (with sudo) brought down my existing
> Xorg. :-D
>
> But when I rebooted, Xfce suddenly started working without extra help.
>
> I've tried several dozens of times and couldn't reproduce the problem
> in it. All I can add about that is two things:
>
> 1. It has some broken handling of scaling. When set to 1, most things
> (but not all, e.g. not the titlebar buttons, I think) have the same
> size as I have in GNOME at 2x scaling. And when I set scaling to 2,
> everything becomes tiny.
>
> 2. Emacs starts up faster than under WindowMaker or E, but still a
> little slower than under GNOME. The startup looks a little different,
> too: if you have some of my older videos saved, you can see it
> blinking with the scrollbar. Under Xfce, OTOH, I can't see that
> blinking, and overall the startup looks something like additionally
> buffered: less jittery, but a tiny bit slower as a result.

Different window managers behave differently upon first managing a
window, so I'm not too surprised by these differences.

I'm out of ideas here, but everything so far points at this being a
GNOME bug.  Which I can't reproduce, likely due to the difference in
display and graphics hardware between my system and yours.

> Whatever the reasons is, it could affect later frame flipping as well.

I doubt this, since by the time the initial window configuration
finishes, Emacs should be in the same state under any window manager.

I'm sorry I couldn't help.