Subject: bug#61667: 29.0.60; Failure to redisplay

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 14:15:14 +0200

On 12/03/2023 04:43, Po Lu wrote:
> Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>>> Tried again with WindowMaker, couldn't reproduce there still. It's
>>> still working kind of sluggishly, though. Also tried installing
>>> Xfce4, but there seems to be some integration problem: it's not
>>> possible to log into it from GDM (journalctl shows some errors about
>>> it trying to launch its own session manager and failing because of
>>> GDM already running).
>>> I've also tried to reproduce the error with a Lucid build of Emacs
>>> 29 under GNOME -- never hit the problem once.
> 
> Yes, it did vanish into the infinite black hole that is this email
> provider's automatic filtering.
> 
> Xfwm can be run by hand with its compositor enabled.  Perhaps if you
> start:
> 
>    Xorg :1
> 
> then run:
> 
>    xfwm4 -c --display :1, you will have better luck.

Thanks. When trying to run a separate Xorg, at first it failed with no 
access to some tty, and then (with sudo) brought down my existing Xorg. :-D

But when I rebooted, Xfce suddenly started working without extra help.

I've tried several dozens of times and couldn't reproduce the problem in 
it. All I can add about that is two things:

1. It has some broken handling of scaling. When set to 1, most things 
(but not all, e.g. not the titlebar buttons, I think) have the same size 
as I have in GNOME at 2x scaling. And when I set scaling to 2, 
everything becomes tiny.

2. Emacs starts up faster than under WindowMaker or E, but still a 
little slower than under GNOME. The startup looks a little different, 
too: if you have some of my older videos saved, you can see it blinking 
with the scrollbar. Under Xfce, OTOH, I can't see that blinking, and 
overall the startup looks something like additionally buffered: less 
jittery, but a tiny bit slower as a result. Whatever the reasons is, it 
could affect later frame flipping as well.

https://a.uguu.se/jzgYlBHd.mp4