Subject: Re: bug#61667: 29.0.60; Failure to redisplay

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 20:56:47 +0800

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> I haven't tried this one yet (busy bisecting), but I can report that a
> window behind Emacs, even when Emacs is not transparent, and when the
> window is not visible, can stop the problem from happening.
>
> This bit me during bisecting: e.g. I can have a video in Firefox
> playing in the background (not visible), or the Telegram window open
> (not visible; no animations), and the problem goes away.
>
> This probably contributed to not having this bug reported sooner as well.

This is very likely a bug in GNOME!

A serious one at that.  Please report it to their developers, preferably
with the output of GNOME Shell run with the environment variable
``MUTTER_DEBUG'' set to 1.

But before you do so, please try the following:

  - Use a less resource intensive testing program (not Firefox or
    Telegram Desktop) such as ``xclock -update 1''.

  - Update to the latest version of GNOME Shell.