Subject: bug#61667: 29.0.60; Failure to redisplay

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 16:01:12 +0200

On 23/02/2023 15:13, Po Lu wrote:
> Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Most of all I'm worried that this is some kind of bug in GNOME, which
>> I don't have a lot of alternatives to.
> 
> Likely not, but let's make sure.  With the printf instrumentation
> present, what happens if you pipe the instrumentation to a file,

Then it reproduces. But since I'm not seeing the output live, I can't 
answer the question "what is printed when the problem happens".

I'm attaching four logs anyway: alternating between when the problem 
reproduced, and when it did not. Otherwise the scenario was almost or 
exactly the same, up to the characters typed.

out1.txt and out3.txt - reproduced.
out2.txt and out4.txt - did not.

> or run
> Emacs from the Linux text console, as opposed to inside a window
> redirected by GNOME's compositing manager?

Not sure what you mean. 'emacs -nw'? Or run a separate X server and 
Emacs inside it, launched from a tty?

I'd have to look up how to do that. Last type I typed 'startx' was >10 
years ago.