Subject: bug#61652: 28.2; Read-only mode and View mode

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 16:48:02 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Bernd Rellermeyer <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 13:46:50 +0100
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>>
>> In step 3, View mode is entered implicitly, because `view-read-only` is
>> non-nil. From the user perspective it is only one command. I.e. the user just
>> turns off and on Read-only mode. That means the user enters View mode vie
>> Read-Only mode from a writable buffer. I think this should not alter the
>> behavior of `View-exit` and after calling `View-exit` he should be in a
>> writable buffer. Or am I wrong?
>
> I'm not sure I agree with your interpretation.
>
> Does anyone else have an opinion?

I don't think I agree either.  Once the user starts changing
read-only-mode, I think disabling it when leaving view-mode would be
surprising.

In any case, leaving it as read-only is only a minor annoyance.
Changing it to read-write means the user can suddenly start doing
destructive things in a situation where that might be unexpected.

So I'm not sure we should do anything at all here.