Subject: Re: bug#61625: Package download speed calculation, spurious results?

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 14:28:30 +0100

Hi,

francismb <[email-masked]> skribis:

>  graphviz-2.49.0  1.2MiB
>                          1.15GiB/s 00:00 [                  ]   5.1%
>  graphviz-2.49.0  1.2MiB
>                           2.2MiB/s 00:01 [##################] 100.0%
>
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
>
> I'm not behind a ~ >100MB connection, and it's curious to get 1.15GiB/s
> here, is that somehow the value from some cache? or is a spurious
> calculation? (IMHO nothing that releases the packaging unusable thus low
> priority, just curiosity, is that a bug?)

As you can see, the 1.15GiB/s was printed while Guix had downloaded just
5.1% of 1.2 MiB, meaning 61 KiB.

The time it takes to download 61 KiB is very small, which is why you can
end up with surprising values when dividing that by the time it took.

Notice that the final result of 2.2 MiB/s is probably accurate.

There’s not much to do here, except perhaps not displaying anything
until at a bigger chunk of time has elapsed.

Ludo’.