Subject: bug#61625: closed (Re: bug#61625: Package download speed calculation, spurious results?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 09:47:02 +0000

Your bug report

#61625: Package download speed calculation, spurious results?

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
61625: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=61625
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#61625: Package download speed calculation, spurious results?
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: francismb <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 10:46:08 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

francismb <[email-masked]> skribis:

> thanks for the explanation, then AFAIU, is an scaling/extrapolation to
> seconds effect. I can imagine, that waiting a bit more, just for the
> accuracy here, isn't worth the effort (or complexity). Thus IMHO the
> issue may be closed.

Alright, closing!

Ludo’.

Subject: Package download speed calculation, spurious results?
From: francismb <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 12:14:42 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear Maintainers team,
I've notice that the package download speed (is that the measure?),
seems to have some special edges/cases giving IMHO not realistic values,
see for e.g. the value calculated for 'graphviz' on my current
(~2023.02.19T12:00UTC) pull and upgrade iteration:

guix pull && guix upgrade
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at
'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Authenticating channel 'guix', commits 9edb3f6 to 57495d0 (286 new
commits)...
Building from this channel:
   guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git	57495d0
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
  config.scm  501B
                            19KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  git.scm  101B
                            64KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  hash.scm  132B
                            13KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  module-import  2KiB
                           367KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  module-import  2KiB
                           316KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  module-import-compiled  1.2MiB
                           5.3MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  module-import-compiled  1.2MiB
                           6.0MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
building
/gnu/store/h3lx1r3canrrfy2km329bzqdhq1l6bz2-compute-guix-derivation.drv...
  graphviz-2.49.0-doc  2.0MiB
                          6.33GiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  dbus-1.12.20  266KiB
                         412.0MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  fribidi-1.0.9  71KiB
                         175.0MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  avahi-0.8  349KiB
                           1.8MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  gd-2.3.2  124KiB
                           376KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  gettext-minimal-0.21  3.4MiB
                           8.2MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  gnutls-3.7.7  1.6MiB
                          4.97GiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  gettext-minimal-0.21-doc  1.0MiB
                           5.5MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  graphite2-1.3.13  90KiB
                           875KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  gts-0.7.6  273KiB
                           1.8MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  guile-avahi-0.4.1  57KiB
                           323KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  guile-git-0.5.2  416KiB
                           2.9MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  guile-gnutls-3.7.11  98KiB
                           642KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  guix-daemon-1.4.0-3.d5fece6  260KiB
                           820KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  icu4c-69.1  9.1MiB
                           7.0MiB/s 00:01 [##################] 100.0%
  libdatrie-0.2.13  38KiB
                           200KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  harfbuzz-2.8.2  813KiB
                           5.7MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  libice-1.0.10  72KiB
                           519KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  libssh-0.9.6  236KiB
                           2.1MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  libsm-1.2.3  41KiB
                           282KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  guile-ssh-0.16.3  217KiB
                           1.4MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  libthai-0.1.28  162KiB
                           1.1MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  guile-ssh-0.16.3-debug  223KiB
                           1.3MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  libxext-1.3.4  33KiB
                           227KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  libxt-1.2.1  181KiB
                           713KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  perl-gettext-1.07  11KiB
                           142KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  libxmu-1.1.3  68KiB
                           519KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  libxpm-3.5.13  50KiB
                           350KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  perl-pod-parser-1.65  75KiB
                           456KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  libxaw-1.0.14  322KiB
                           1.0MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  perl-sgmls-1.1  33KiB
                           529KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  perl-syntax-keyword-try-0.28  29KiB
                           244KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  perl-text-wrapi18n-0.06  5KiB
                            32KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  perl-unicode-linebreak-2019.001  105KiB
                           853KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  perl-xs-parse-keyword-0.06  32KiB
                           242KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  perl-yaml-tiny-1.73  26KiB
                           177KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  pixman-0.40.0  233KiB
                           612KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  po4a-0.68  1.9MiB
                          10.1MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  cairo-1.16.0  644KiB
                           4.1MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  pango-1.48.10  344KiB
                           1.2MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%

  graphviz-2.49.0  1.2MiB
                          1.15GiB/s 00:00 [                  ]   5.1%
  graphviz-2.49.0  1.2MiB
                           2.2MiB/s 00:01 [##################] 100.0%

substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%

I'm not behind a ~ >100MB connection, and it's curious to get 1.15GiB/s
here, is that somehow the value from some cache? or is a spurious
calculation? (IMHO nothing that releases the packaging unusable thus low
priority, just curiosity, is that a bug?)

Thanks in advance,
francisMB