Subject: Re: bug#61624: 30.0.50; [PATCH] More doc on image-dired-dired-*

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 14:05:07 +0200

> Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 12:37:25 +0100
> From:  Manuel Giraud via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> Here is more documentation on some image-dired-dired-* commands.

Thanks.  I have a few comments:

> * doc/emacs/dired.texi (Image-Dired): Some fix and more documentation
> about image-dired-dired-* commands.        ^^^

"fixes", I guess?

>  @findex image-dired-display-previous
>    With point in the thumbnail buffer, you can type @key{RET}
>  (@code{image-dired-display-this}) to display the image in another
> -window.  Use the arrow keys to move around in the thumbnail buffer.
> -For easy browsing, use @key{SPC} (@code{image-dired-display-next}) to
> -advance and display the next image.  Typing @key{DEL}
> -(@code{image-dired-display-previous}) backs up to the previous
> -thumbnail and displays that instead.
> +window.  Use the standard Emacs movement shortcuts or the arrow keys
                                            ^^^^^^^^^
We say "key bindings" not "shortcuts".

>    You can delete images through Image-Dired also.  Type @kbd{d}
>  (@code{image-dired-flag-thumb-original-file}) to flag the image file
> -for deletion in the Dired buffer.  You can also delete the thumbnail
> +for deletion in the Dired buffer.  You can also remove the thumbnail
>  image from the thumbnail buffer with @kbd{C-d}
>  (@code{image-dired-delete-char}).

Not sure I understand the reason for this.  "Deletion" goes together
with "delete", so why use "remove" instead?

> +@findex image-dired-dired-toggle-marked-thumbs
> +@findex image-dired-dired-display-external
> +@findex image-dired-dired-display-image
> +  You could also use Image-Dired for @dfn{inline} operations (i.e.,
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As a general rule, whenever you use @dfn to introduce new terminology,
you should have a suitable @cindex entry, so that readers could easily
find the description of the term if they see it later in the manual.

> +right into the Dired buffer).  Type @kbd{C-t C-t} and the thumbnails
                                                    ^
Comma is missing there.

> +(@code{image-dired-dired-toggle-marked-thumbs}).  @kbd{C-t i} and
> +@kbd{C-t x} will display the image under the point into Emacs or with
> +the external viewer, respectively.

"Display the image ... into Emacs" sounds awkward.  I'd say "in Emacs"
instead.

> -@kbd{C-t t} (@code{image-dired-tag-files}).  This reads the tag name
> +@kbd{C- tt} (@code{image-dired-tag-files}).  This reads the tag name
        ^^^^^
Is that a typo?

> +@findex image-dired-dired-comment-files
> +@findex image-dired-dired-edit-comment-and-tags
>    You can also tag a file directly from the thumbnail buffer by typing
>  @kbd{t t} and you can remove a tag by typing @kbd{t r}.  There is also
            ^
A comma missing there.

> -a special tag called ``comment'' for each file (it is not a tag in
> -the exact same sense as the other tags, it is handled slightly
> -differently).  That is used to enter a comment or description about the
> -image.  You comment a file from the thumbnail buffer by typing
> +a special tag called ``comment'' for each file (it is not a tag in the
> +exact same sense as the other tags, it is handled slightly
> +differently).  That is used to enter a comment or description about
> +the image.  You comment a file from the thumbnail buffer by typing

Is this part just a refill of the same text?