Subject: 29.0.60; comint-mode redirection

From: Rah Guzar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 12:26:19 +0100

Dear Emacs maintainers,
   I have been working on a major mode derived from comint-mode. The mode
   uses redirection to show documentation in a separate buffer. Sometimes,
   a prompt would appear in the output of the command producing the
   documentation and this would end the redirection prematurely. Searching
   among variables in comint-mode I found comint-redirect-finished-regexp
   and its docstring made me believe that I could set it to change the end
   of redirection. However setting it had a no effect and looking at the
   sources I found that this is because it is set by comint-redirect-setup
   and comint-redirect-send-command-to-process calls comint-redirect-setup
   so that it is always set to comint-prompt-regexp during redirection.

   This is confusing behavior because docstring of
   comint-redirect-finished-regexp gives no clue that setting it will have
   no effect. Similarly the docstring of comint-prompt-regexp states that
   its value is only used when comint-use-prompt-regexp is non-nil but
   that is not true for redirection.

   Overall I think it would be nice to have an optional argument to
   comint-redirect-send-command-to-process which allows a user to
   explicitly pass the regexp to use for ending redirection.

   Another issue I had was that I wanted to run some commands when
   redirection ended. There didn't seem to be any hooks that accomplished
   this but from source of comint-redirect-preoutput-filter I found that
   comint-redirect-hook is run when redirection finishes. However
   comint-redirect-hook is not defined as a variable and nothing seems to
   give any hint of its existence.

Thanks,
Rahguzar

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.35, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2023-02-17 built on build79
System Description: openSUSE Tumbleweed

Configured using:
 'configure --host=x86_64-suse-linux-gnu --build=x86_64-suse-linux-gnu
 --program-prefix= --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr
 --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin
 --sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include
 --libdir=/usr/lib64 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-pgtk --with-native-compilation=aot
 --with-cairo --with-libotf --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif
 --with-png --with-rsvg --with-xft --with-xml2 --with-dbus --with-sound
 --with-json --with-mailutils --with-gnutls --with-tree-sitter
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/share/emacs/29.0.60/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 'CFLAGS=-O2 -Wall -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3
 -fstack-protector-strong -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables
 -fstack-clash-protection -Werror=return-type -flto=auto'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O2'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: mu4e-headers

Minor modes in effect:
  delete-selection-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  better-jumper-mode: t
  better-jumper-local-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  all-the-icons-completion-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  evil-goggles-mode: t
  evil-escape-mode: t
  evil-snipe-override-mode: t
  evil-snipe-mode: t
  gcmh-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  ws-butler-global-mode: t
  global-undo-fu-session-mode: t
  undo-fu-mode: t
  workroom-mode: t
  mu4e-search-minor-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  hl-line-mode: t
  mu4e-update-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-context-minor-mode: t
  dirvish-override-dired-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  solaire-global-mode: t
  solaire-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  +popup-mode: t
  +modeline-global-mode: t
  +modeline-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  general-override-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  window-divider-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/azeem/.emacs.d/.local/straight/build-29.0.60/citar-embark/citar-embark hides /home/azeem/.emacs.d/.local/straight/build-29.0.60/citar/citar-embark

Features:
(shadow disp-table whitespace delsel display-line-numbers adaptive-wrap
spell-fu ispell auto-minor-mode projectile lisp-mnt evil-collection-grep
grep ibuf-ext evil-collection-ibuffer ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs recentf
tree-widget saveplace evil-collection-so-long so-long emacsbug sort
gnus-cite smiley shr-color mm-archive mail-extr textsec uni-scripts
idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check qp cursor-sensor
vertico-repeat evil-collection-which-key which-key savehist
better-jumper company-capf company evil-collection-vertico vertico
orderless all-the-icons-completion marginalia evil-goggles pulse color
evil-easymotion evil-escape evil-snipe autorevert filenotify gcmh winner
smartparens-config smartparens-text smartparens dash ws-butler
undo-fu-session undo-fu workroom compat desktop frameset
evil-collection-mu4e mu4e mu4e-org evil-collection-org smartparens-org
org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities
noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp org-table ol org-keys oc-natbib oc-csl
bibtex oc-biblatex oc org-loaddefs find-func mu4e-main mu4e-view
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win evil-collection-gnus gnus nnheader range
evil-collection-calendar cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs mu4e-headers
mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions smtpmail mu4e-search mu4e-lists
mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark mu4e-message shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file
svg xml dom browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util url-parse
auth-source json map url-vars flow-fill mule-util hl-line mu4e-contacts
mu4e-update mu4e-folders mu4e-server mu4e-context mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers
mu4e-config evil-collection-bookmark bookmark ido message sendmail
mailcap yank-media puny dirvish transient eieio eieio-core
evil-collection-dired dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache evil-collection-epa epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader server dtrt-indent doom-themes-ext-org solaire-mode
face-remap doom-earl-grey-theme doom-themes doom-themes-base midnight
evil-collection-flymake flymake-proc flymake project
evil-collection-compile evil-collection-custom cus-edit cus-load
wid-edit evil-collection-comint evil-collection annalist compile
text-property-search html2text ob-core org-cycle org-fold org-fold-core
org-compat ob-eval org-version org-macs format-spec ibuf-macs evil
evil-integration evil-maps evil-commands reveal flyspell evil-jumps
evil-command-window evil-search shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc
ansi-color evil-types evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core comp
comp-cstr warnings icons byte-opt advice evil-common windmove calc
calc-loaddefs calc-macs thingatpt rect evil-digraphs evil-vars ring
all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons
data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons let-alist
derived edmacro kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key rx doom-editor
doom-projects doom-ui easy-mmode doom-keybinds pp cl-extra help-mode
use-package-core bytecomp byte-compile general tex-site doom-start
doom-modules cl-seq doom doom-lib cl-macs cl-loaddefs cl-lib pcase gv
jansson dynamic-modules subr-x rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 944541 309286)
 (symbols 48 41240 1)
 (strings 32 291783 19116)
 (string-bytes 1 6577740)
 (vectors 16 85429)
 (vector-slots 8 2190100 207157)
 (floats 8 1276 1590)
 (intervals 56 12251 9085)
 (buffers 984 21))