Subject: bug#61589: closed (Re: bug#61589: 28.2; Triple-Quote causes emacs 28 to free in Python-mode)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 07:23:02 +0000

Your bug report

#61589: 28.2; Triple-Quote causes emacs 28 to free in Python-mode

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
61589: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=61589
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#61589: 28.2; Triple-Quote causes emacs 28 to free in Python-mode
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Ruijie Yu <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 09:22:14 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 11:29:34 +0800
> From:  Ruijie Yu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> Ruijie Yu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Cannot reproduce in 28.1 (5a223c7f2ef4c31abbd46367b6ea83cd19d30aa7) on
> > GNU/Linux.  Compiling 28.2 tag, 29 branch and master branch ATM.
> 
> Update: only reproducible on 28.2.  Neither 29 nor master exhibit this
> issue.

Thanks for testing, so I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 28.2; Triple-Quote causes emacs 28 to free in Python-mode
From: Adam Connor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 18:12:01 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

emacs -Q recipe: Start with a  file  as follows (not including the
dashed lines):
--------------------

import os

def some_outer():
    """
    Returns an inner function
    """
    print('bah')

    def inner(*args, **kwargs):
        """
        blah blah, 'True' is parsed as the boolean True, '[1,2,3]' as the array
        [1,2,3], etc. -- but in cases where that doesn't work, yadda yadda
        """
        return 55

    return inner
--------------------

Open the file. Above 'some_outer', try  to add

class Foo:
    """

For me, emacs will consistently freeze after I press enter on the triple
quote. The docstrings seem to play a role (if I delete them, it stops
freezing), but I don't know exactly what is going on there.

And by 'freeze', I mean exactly that -- emacs stops responding and
cannot be quit, although I can force-quit it.

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.1.0, NS appkit-2113.00 Version 12.0.1 (Build 21A559))
of 2022-09-12 built on armbob.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.6.3

Configured using:
'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
ACL GMP GNUTLS JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER THREADS
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize
mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 50996 8577)
(symbols 48 6552 1)
(strings 32 18553 2620)
(string-bytes 1 614449)
(vectors 16 13820)
(vector-slots 8 191433 10594)
(floats 8 21 39)
(intervals 56 199 0)
(buffers 992 10))