Subject: Re: BinaryEn

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:49:47 +0100

Hello,

Am Sun, Mar 12, 2023 at 09:16:45AM +0100 schrieb Liliana Marie Prikler:
> Am Samstag, dem 11.03.2023 um 23:48 +0100 schrieb Andreas Enge:
> > Hello Liliana,
> Hi Andreas, please don't forget to add me in CC.

ah, I thought that debbugs would automatically redispatch the mail
to everybody who contributed to the report.

> The problem here is that expressions like:
>   double a, b, c;
>   c = sqrt(a * a, b * b);
> can use 80 bit intermediaries on x87 chips, which they don't when using
> SSE2 – hence the precision argument.  You would have to redefine all
> basic operations for your floating point (which would still be doable
> in C++ due to operator overloading, but be a major pain in the butt to
> do correctly and well-tested, hence the deference to SSE2, I believe).

Hm, I thought that when using gcc and glibc, floating point operations
now followed the IEEE-754 standard. Then it would not matter what the
internal format is (except for special functions).

Still, I wonder if it would not be possible to change the configure test
so that the package compiles on 32 bit platforms; otherwise we would have
to take them out from the supported systems. And that would not be better
(assuming that the package passes its tests on these platforms, of course).

Andreas