Subject: [bug#61583] [PATCH] gnu: git: Update to 2.39.2 [fixes CVE-2023-22490 & CVE-2023-23946].

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 19:52:04 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 at 22:57, Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Overall, git and git-minimal will cause more than 300 rebuilds, but not
> too many for the current state of the build farm.

I get 546 dependent packages for git + git-minimal which need to be
re-built.  And some are really expensive -- that what I meant by "a
lot of rebuilds". :-)

Well, I do not know if there is an issue with QA or it is just really
expensive but the process is still pending, if I read correctly
<https://qa.guix.gnu.org/issue/61583>.

> Concretely, why can't we push this to master immediately?

Somehow the guarantee that none of these 546 would not be broken by
the update. ;-)

Anyway, I had locally built them -- it took 3-4 days on my machine,
IIRC -- and I do not remember any "big" breakage, maybe a couple of
packages -- even maybe not since some are already broken.  However, I
did not carefully tracked my process thinking to come back later --
well, I ran "guix gc" in the mean for checking stuff with SWH coverage
thinking that QA would have finished.

I do not have an opinion where or whether to push.

Cheers,
simon