Subject: Problems using reftex from Org mode's latex blocks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 07:45:37 +0100

Hello.

When Org mode is enabled, issuing [C-c '] (org-edit-special) within a
latex "export block" such as this one

   #+begin_export latex
   \documentclass{article}
   \begin{document}
   \section{1}
   \section{2}
   \end{document}
   #+end_export

one is put into a special buffer which is latex aware.  If reftex is
turned on in that buffer, 'Ref' is added to the modeline.  Now, upon
[C-c (], one gets

   RefTeX works only in buffers visiting a file

This is disappointing, but I could accept it.  However upon [C-c =] one
gets 

   Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

which is much more problematic.  Further, a prominent Org contributor
thinks it is a reftex bug and that "It is generally expected that
major modes do work in non-file buffers in Emacs." (thread
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2023-02/msg00388.html)

Hence this message.  

Regards

NB: I am not subscribed to [email-masked]

-- 
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre) 
ITE (Institut Terre & Environnement) | [email-masked]
5 rue René Descartes   [bureau 110]  | Phone: +33 (0)3 68 85 50 44 
F-67084 Strasbourg Cedex, France     | [ slot available for rent ]