Subject: bug#61549: 30.0.50; [PATCH] New keyboard macro counter functions

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2024 02:56:21 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks, but please in the future try to chime in earlier [...]

Sure - I'm sorry that I failed this time.

> > (1) "kmacro-add-counter" and related functions... I wonder why these are
> > not named "kmacro-increase-counter" [...]

> If we want to rename this, IMO kmacro-add-to-counter is a better name.

Sounds reasonable.

> > (3) I actually don't understand the usage of the
> > `kmacro-reg-add-counter-*' named functions (did you, Eli?).  An example
> > would maybe help.
>
> Did you read the doc string before or after I install the changes?

Both times in this case, actually.  My question was more about how this
is supposed to be used, not what it does.  Maybe it's obvious when one
uses kmacros often.

> > In addition I want to say the suggested manual additions are useful.
> > Would it make sense to add at least some parts to the file header or
> > some pieces to the docstrings, or as comments?
>
> No, I think these are sufficiently obscure to not be in the manual.

I agree - but the focus here was on the second sentence.

Thanks,

Michael.