Subject: Re: bug#61549: 30.0.50; [PATCH] New keyboard macro counter functions

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2024 01:33:54 +0200

Alex Bochannek <[email-masked]> writes:

> I hope this is the last iteration, but please let me know if there are
> stylistic or implementation issues.

Sorry, but some more small questions from my side (please excuse my
ignorance, I'm not a heavy user of keyboard macros so if any question
doesn't make sense maybe I'm just on a wrong track):

(1) "kmacro-add-counter" and related functions... I wonder why these are
not named "kmacro-increase-counter" - would that not be better
understandable?  I mean, AFAIU, you do not add a counter but add
something to an (or "the") counter.  But maybe I misunderstand.

(2) `kmacro-reg-load-counter': I think I would expect a `user-error'
being raised when the operation fails.  Unless that would get in the
way in your use case (break recording or so, dunno).

(3) I actually don't understand the usage of the
`kmacro-reg-add-counter-*' named functions (did you, Eli?).  An example
would maybe help.

In addition I want to say the suggested manual additions are useful.
Would it make sense to add at least some parts to the file header or
some pieces to the docstrings, or as comments?

Thanks,

Michael.