Subject: bug#61542: emacs-next doesn't load .eln files

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2024 17:31:35 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 at 02:11, "ytc" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello.  I've noticed that when I install Emacs packages with
> `--with-input=emacs-minimal=emacs-next' transformation option, Emacs
> cannot load native compiled files.  The reason might be that the
> byte-compiled files of those packages couldn't be found.  Could you
> please look into this problem?

Please note that ’emacs’ supports native compilation.

That’s said, you cannot build an Emacs package using one Emacs version
and use the result using another Emacs version.  In other words, the
Emacs package must be native compiled with the same Emacs version that
will load it.

And AFAIK, the Emacs packages are not yet native compiled at build time,
only bytecompiled.  See [1] for patches allowing that.

Well, I am in favor to close this report since the wish is tracked by
patch submission #72406 [1].  WDYt?

Cheers,
simon

1: [bug#72406] [PATCH emacs-team WIP 0/4] Simplify creation of emacs package variants
Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Wed, 31 Jul 2024 21:58:49 +0200
id:[email-masked]
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/72406
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/[email-masked]
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]