Subject: Re: bug#61527: [PATCH] Add edgelist graph backend

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 23:48:25 +0100

Hello Kyle,

Kyle Andrews <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I would like to be able to conveniently analyze Guix package
> dependencies using general purpose network analysis software such as
> igraph. To achieve this, I have added another backend to Guix and which
> is exposed via guix graph which spits out a three column table that,
> while not technically and edge list, is readily transformed into one
> with minimal data munging.

Is “CSV edge list” some sort of a standard format, or is it more of an
idea you came up with?

The patch LGTM but we’ll need a couple more things:

  1. Maybe emitting extra metadata as Simon suggested.

  2. Adding documentation under “Invoking guix graph”.  In particular,
     it’d be nice to have an example showing how to query the generated
     CSV with igraph.

  3. Ideally a full patch with commit log as generated with ‘git
     format-patch’.  :-)

Could you send an updated patch?

Thank you!

Ludo’.