Subject: bug#61521: "default" is now the first item returned from (font-faces), breaking various code.

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 14:11:55 +0000

>> Thanks.  It seems the change you describe is not a recent one: the 
>> first element of the list returned by 'face-list' is 'default' in Emacs 
>> 27, 28, 29 and 30.  (This is caused by e3b8ddd500, since which frame 
>> faces are stored in a hash table instead of an alist.)
>
> Right.  So I wonder whether we should remove the nreverse call in 
> face-set-after-frame-default.  WDYT?
>

There are three occurrences of '(nreverse (face-list))': one in 
facemenu-complete-face-list, which seems to date from the 1990s, one in 
x-create-frame-with-faces, which was added by e3b8ddd500 "to handle subtle 
semantic change to how frame faces propagate, which otherwise breaks frame 
creation with reverse video enabled (bug#41200)", and the third one in 
'face-set-after-frame-default'.

The comment there is definitely outdated and should be removed, but given 
that '(nreverse (face-list))' is placed in a dolist whose body starts with 
'(face-spec-recalc face frame)', like in x-create-frame-with-faces, I'm 
not sure the nreverse can be removed without introducing a subtle bug. 
It is probably safer to leave the code unchanged.