Subject: bug#61519: 30.0.50; thing-at-point misdetects emails with numerals in user part

From: Aaron Madlon-Kay <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 08:04:26 +0900

1. Launch Emacs with `emacs -Q`
2. Enter an email address with a numeral in the user part, like
   [email-masked]
3. With point inside the domain part of the email address, evaluate
   `(thing-at-point 'email)`
4. Result will be [email-masked]` (expected [email-masked]`)

The cause of this is the implementation of `thing-at-point-looking-at'
where it backs up one character at a time to find the start of the
email. The value for `thing-at-point-email-regexp' allows numbers in
the user part only from the *second* character, so as the function
backs up it will mistakenly find the `0` in [email-masked]` to be
outside of the email address.

---

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin22.3.0, NS
appkit-2299.40 Version 13.2 (Build 22D49)) of 2023-01-30 built on
Macmac.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2299
System Description:  macOS 13.2.1

Configured using:
'configure --prefix=/opt/local --disable-silent-rules --without-dbus
--without-gconf --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --with-libgmp
--with-gnutls --with-json --with-xml2 --with-modules --infodir
/opt/local/share/info/emacs --with-sqlite3 --with-webp --with-ns
--with-lcms2 --without-harfbuzz --without-imagemagick --without-xaw3d
--with-tree-sitter --with-rsvg --with-native-compilation=aot
'CFLAGS=-pipe -Os -Wno-attributes
-isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX13.sdk -arch
x86_64' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include
-isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX13.sdk'
'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -Wl,-rpath
/opt/local/lib/gcc12 -Wl,-no_pie
-Wl,-syslibroot,/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX13.sdk
-arch x86_64''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  paredit-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  diff-hl-mode: t
  dap-tooltip-mode: t
  dap-ui-many-windows-mode: t
  dap-ui-controls-mode: t
  dap-ui-mode: t
  treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
  treemacs-follow-mode: t
  treemacs-git-mode: t
  treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
  dap-auto-configure-mode: t
  dap-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  rainbow-mode: t
  company-quickhelp-mode: t
  company-quickhelp-local-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  csv-field-index-mode: t
  beacon-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  auto-sudoedit-mode: 0
  recentf-mode: t
  counsel-projectile-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  all-the-icons-ivy-rich-mode: t
  ivy-rich-mode: t
  counsel-mode: t
  pcre-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-subword-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode hides /Users/amake/.emacs.d/elpa-30/cmake-mode-20230209.1921/cmake-mode
/Users/amake/.emacs.d/elpa-30/transient-20230213.1337/transient hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug cl-print amk-vterm benchmark ido loaddefs-gen
tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode mm-archive url-cache magit-patch
magit-subtree magit-extras magit-gitignore magit-ediff emoji-github
py-autopep8 emacs-news-mode paredit dired-aux vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src
vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs diff-hl-dired all-the-icons-dired
dired-collapse dired-hacks-utils tcl make-mode org-eldoc image-file
image-converter oc-basic ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus
nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win ol-docview
doc-view ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi conf-mode
hl-tags-mode cl rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok shfmt flyspell
ispell yaml-mode diff-hl log-view vc-dir dap-mouse dap-ui gdb-mi bindat
gud bui bui-list bui-info bui-entry bui-core bui-history bui-button
bui-utils lsp-modeline lsp-headerline lsp-icons lsp-diagnostics view
lsp-zig lsp-steep lsp-svelte lsp-sqls lsp-ruby-syntax-tree lsp-yaml
lsp-xml lsp-vimscript lsp-vhdl lsp-volar lsp-vetur lsp-html lsp-verilog
lsp-vala lsp-v lsp-typeprof lsp-ttcn3 lsp-toml lsp-terraform lsp-tex
lsp-sourcekit lsp lsp-sorbet lsp-solargraph lsp-rust lsp-rf lsp-remark
lsp-racket lsp-r lsp-purescript lsp-pylsp lsp-pyls lsp-pwsh lsp-php
lsp-pls lsp-perlnavigator lsp-perl lsp-openscad lsp-ocaml lsp-magik
lsp-nix lsp-nim lsp-nginx lsp-mint lsp-marksman lsp-markdown lsp-lua
lsp-kotlin lsp-json lsp-javascript lsp-idris lsp-haxe lsp-groovy
lsp-hack lsp-graphql lsp-gleam lsp-go lsp-completion lsp-gdscript
lsp-fsharp lsp-fortran lsp-eslint lsp-erlang lsp-emmet lsp-elixir
lsp-elm lsp-dockerfile lsp-dhall lsp-d lsp-css lsp-csharp lsp-crystal
lsp-cmake lsp-clojure lsp-semantic-tokens lsp-clangd lsp-beancount
lsp-bash lsp-astro lsp-ansible lsp-angular lsp-ada lsp-actionscript
lsp-ui lsp-ui-flycheck lsp-ui-imenu lsp-ui-peek lsp-ui-sideline
lsp-ui-doc goto-addr csharp-mode c-ts-common dap-java lsp-java lsp-ivy
lsp-dart lsp-dart-commands lsp-dart-flutter-widget-guide
lsp-dart-flutter-fringe-colors lsp-dart-flutter-colors lsp-dart-outline
lsp-dart-code-lens lsp-lens lsp-dart-test-tree lsp-treemacs
lsp-treemacs-generic lsp-treemacs-themes treemacs-treelib
treemacs-projectile treemacs treemacs-header-line treemacs-compatibility
treemacs-mode treemacs-bookmarks treemacs-tags treemacs-interface
treemacs-persistence treemacs-filewatch-mode treemacs-follow-mode
treemacs-rendering treemacs-annotations treemacs-async
treemacs-workspaces treemacs-dom treemacs-visuals
treemacs-fringe-indicator treemacs-scope pulse treemacs-faces
treemacs-icons treemacs-themes treemacs-core-utils pfuture hl-line
treemacs-logging treemacs-customization treemacs-macros
lsp-dart-test-output lsp-dart-test-support lsp-dart-dap
lsp-dart-devtools lsp-dart-flutter-daemon jsonrpc ert dap-utils dap-mode
dap-tasks dap-launch lsp-docker posframe dap-overlays
lsp-dart-closing-labels lsp-dart-utils lsp-dart-protocol lsp-mode
spinner network-stream lv inline ewoc lsp-protocol ht lsp-ui-util vc-git
vc vc-dispatcher hideshow rainbow-delimiters rainbow-mode
flutter-l10n-flycheck flutter flutter-l10n flutter-project dart-mode
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company-quickhelp pos-tip company init
nodejs-repl pug-mode coffee-mode docker docker-volume docker-network
docker-image docker-container docker-faces docker-core docker-compose
docker-process docker-utils docker-group aio editorconfig
editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch csv-mode
sort vterm term disp-table ehelp vterm-module term/xterm xterm
cmake-mode rst jq-mode beacon yasnippet flycheck-kotlin
flycheck-commitlint flycheck-committed flycheck-yard flycheck-dart-sass
flycheck-sassc flycheck-innosetup flycheck-shfmt shfmt-common sh-script
executable flycheck-package package-lint finder flycheck kotlin-mode
kotlin-mode-indent kotlin-mode-lexer which-key vue-l10n helpful cc-langs
trace edebug debug backtrace info-look help-fns radix-tree elisp-refs
nginx-mode auto-sudoedit tramp-sh recentf tree-widget f f-shortdoc
vlf-setup vlf vlf-base vlf-tune dumb-jump popup s edit-string
counsel-projectile projectile lisp-mnt grep all-the-icons-ibuffer
all-the-icons-ivy-rich ivy-rich all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces
data-material data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons
data-faicons data-alltheicons two-column counsel xref swiper
ruby-test-mode inf-ruby ruby-mode cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs crdt forms
forms-mode pcre2el rxt re-builder git-link orgit-forge orgit forge-list
forge-commands forge-semi forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs gogs
forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab forge-github ghub-graphql treepy
gsexp ghub url-http url-gw nsm url-auth gnutls forge-notify
forge-revnote forge-pullreq forge-issue forge-topic yaml bug-reference
forge-post markdown-mode edit-indirect forge-repo forge forge-core
forge-db closql emacsql-sqlite emacsql emacsql-compiler magit-bookmark
magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status
magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func magit-diff
smerge-mode diff diff-mode git-commit log-edit message sendmail
yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor comp comp-cstr warnings magit-mode magit-git
magit-base magit-section crm org-pdftools pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-annot tablist advice
tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet pdf-misc
pdf-tools pdf-view bookmark jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util
pdf-macs org-noter org-element org-persist org-id avl-tree generator
org-refile org-backlog backlog ivy ivy-faces ivy-overlay colir request
mailheader org-tempo tempo dash async ob-ruby ob-python python project
ob-dot ob-shell org org-macro org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp org-table
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ob-async tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat
parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp ob-passthrough ob ob-tangle ol org-src ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp ob-comint ob-core org-cycle org-fold
org-fold-core ob-eval org-keys oc org-compat org-version org-macs
css-mode treesit smie imenu eww url-queue shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg xml puny mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util time-date
mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr color dired-x amk-dired
amk-dired-mac image-dired image-dired-tags image-dired-external
image-dired-util xdg ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff
ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util cus-edit pp cus-load icons wid-edit
image-mode dired dired-loaddefs exif shell pcomplete cap-words superword
subword desktop frameset macports macports-select macports-installed
macports-outdated macports-describe thingatpt macports-core compile
text-property-search comint ansi-osc transient format-spec compat
scale-to-fit face-remap reformatter ansi-color amk-mac amk-xml sgml-mode
facemenu dom edmacro kmacro exec-path-from-shell
use-package-ensure-system-package diminish cl-extra help-mode finder-inf
use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core pixel-scroll
cua-base ring server display-line-numbers delsel elec-pair custom-file
pcase auto-sudoedit-autoloads lsp-ivy-autoloads reformatter-autoloads
hide-lines-autoloads counsel-projectile-autoloads lsp-java-autoloads
edit-indirect-autoloads lsp-sourcekit-autoloads diff-hl-autoloads
paredit-autoloads pyvenv-autoloads svelte-mode-autoloads
rainbow-delimiters-autoloads all-the-icons-ivy-rich-autoloads
helpful-autoloads elisp-refs-autoloads lsp-dart-autoloads
flycheck-package-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads flycheck-kotlin-autoloads
counsel-autoloads ivy-rich-autoloads go-mode-autoloads
kotlin-mode-autoloads lsp-ui-autoloads cmake-mode-autoloads
company-quickhelp-autoloads company-autoloads docker-autoloads
aio-autoloads terraform-mode-autoloads nginx-mode-autoloads
csv-mode-autoloads ob-async-autoloads crdt-autoloads hcl-mode-autoloads
vlf-autoloads pug-mode-autoloads all-the-icons-dired-autoloads
jq-mode-autoloads swiper-autoloads ivy-autoloads org-contrib-autoloads
dash-at-point-autoloads coffee-mode-autoloads dumb-jump-autoloads
dart-mode-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads popup-autoloads
vterm-autoloads which-key-autoloads graphviz-dot-mode-autoloads
request-autoloads flycheck-autoloads pos-tip-autoloads
ruby-test-mode-autoloads py-autopep8-autoloads dap-mode-autoloads
lsp-docker-autoloads lsp-treemacs-autoloads expand-region-autoloads
json-mode-autoloads rx json-snatcher-autoloads org-pdftools-autoloads
org-noter-autoloads nodejs-repl-autoloads git-link-autoloads
apache-mode-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads tablist-autoloads
inf-ruby-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads epl-autoloads diminish-autoloads
groovy-mode-autoloads typescript-mode-autoloads beacon-autoloads
bui-autoloads web-mode-autoloads treemacs-projectile-autoloads
treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads posframe-autoloads hydra-autoloads
pfuture-autoloads ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads
projectile-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads pcre2el-autoloads
dockerfile-mode-autoloads all-the-icons-ibuffer-autoloads
all-the-icons-autoloads dired-collapse-autoloads
dired-hacks-utils-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads lv-autoloads
spinner-autoloads prettier-autoloads editorconfig-autoloads
nvm-autoloads f-autoloads s-autoloads iter2-autoloads ht-autoloads
jest-test-mode-autoloads async-autoloads free-keys-autoloads
package-lint-autoloads exec-path-from-shell-autoloads
orgit-forge-autoloads orgit-autoloads forge-autoloads yaml-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads magit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads with-editor-autoloads transient-autoloads
ghub-autoloads treepy-autoloads dash-autoloads closql-autoloads
emacsql-sqlite-autoloads emacsql-autoloads info compat-autoloads
swift-mode-autoloads early-init package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1620320 827570)
(symbols 48 102949 1121)
(strings 32 435004 231186)
(string-bytes 1 13032964)
(vectors 16 209870)
(vector-slots 8 4281952 1068627)
(floats 8 1654 3481)
(intervals 56 24416 11684)
(buffers 984 147))