Subject: bug#61502: 29.0.60; c-ts-mode auto-indent not working

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 19:57:04 +0200

On 15/02/2023 19:11, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 17:57:51 +0200
>> Cc:[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked]
>> From: Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>
>>
>> On 15/02/2023 17:48, Theodor Thornhill via Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>> the Swiss army knife of text editors wrote:
>>> For indentation purposes, when RET is pressed, shouldn't we
>>> ask about the node of the first non-whitespace character of the line
>>> where we get RET?
>> RET usually indents two lines now: the current one and the next.
>>
>> The issue is what to do about indentation on the next (opened) line.
> Yes, I tried to suggest that for the indentation of the next line we
> find the node that corresponds to the beginning of the current line.
> That assumes that we already know how to indent a line after "for" (or
> "if" or "while" or...).

If the current line is empty, we could indeed look for the node at the 
end of the previous line.

But to determine whether that node is an opener, or a closer, or a 
container that should have spanned the current line (or should be 
considered to do so), I think will require grammar-specific logic.