Subject: Re: bug#61496: 30.0.50; Default value of icon-title-format

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:47:14 +0800

Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]> writes:

> My guess is that icon-title-format was implemented for the benefit of
> the users of certain desktop environments that, instead of minimizing a
> frame (window) to a taskbar, they literally iconified the window, with
> little horizontal space for the title below the icon and, probably,
> difficulty to tell apart the iconified-but-running application from the
> rest of icons on the desktop, so icon-title-format was quite handy.
> Nowadays, taskbars either provide lots of room for a title or don't show
> the title at all, so the need for icon-title-format is less pressing, as
> demonstrated by the absence of bug reports about it being broken until
> Po noticed it by chance.

Indeed, another feature that has been broken for even longer is the
ability to set a real bitmap icon for the icon window.  I will
eventually get around to fixing that.

I guess no post-2000 window manager even displays icon windows any more.

As for why it works for Jonas, I'm not sure.  Maybe his window manager
somehow convinced Emacs to redisplay the title bar.