Subject: Re: [bug#61462] Add support for file capabilities(7)

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2024 17:45:57 +0100

Hello!

Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I just noticed I pushed a branch with the working patches to a public
> branch last month:
>
>   https://salsa.debian.org/debian/guix/-/tree/capabilities-61462-20231115?ref_type=heads
>
> They are even still cherry-pickable from current master! Yay!

Wo0t!

> These patches were started over a year ago(well, probably before that,
> even), and had a working implementation about 6 months ago...
>
> My guess is the main blocker is nervousness about renaming
> setuid-programs to privilidged-programs (I know I am a bit nervous to do
> so!)?

It shouldn’t be an issue as /run/setuid-programs is populated with
symlinks for backward compatibility.

AIUI, we can still use good’ol setuid programs on the Hurd until a
better solution is found, so we should be fine (meaning
“make check-system TESTS=childhurd” should pass).

We could emit a deprecation warning when someone uses the
‘setuid-programs’ field of <operating-system>.  Not a blocker though.

Tobias, ready to push? :-)

Cheers,
Ludo’.