Subject: bug#61457: 30.0.50; compiler falsely complains missing ‘describe-char-display’

From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 19:55:08 +0100

Hi,

when running ‘M-x byte-compile-file RET’ with the following form in it,

---
(describe-char-display (point) (char-after))
---

compiler complains:

---
In end of data:
foo.el:6831:17: Warning: the function ‘describe-char-display’ is not known
     to be defined.
---

Whereas ‘M-x describe-function RET’ tells correctly:

---
describe-char-display is a byte-compiled Lisp function in
‘descr-text.el’.

(describe-char-display POS CHAR)
---

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-02-01
Repository revision: 0214e9021b4dbbda1b6040e3b692f29d77a3b8cc
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --with-tree-sitter --with-modules'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE
XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: elisp-compile

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util time-date subr-x mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-macs gv skeleton
warnings icons byte-opt compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring bytecomp byte-compile thingatpt help-fns radix-tree
help-mode misearch multi-isearch cl-loaddefs cl-lib vc-filewise vc-rcs
log-view easy-mmode pcvs-util rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 110592 10249)
  (symbols 48 19695 0)
  (strings 32 42795 2186)
  (string-bytes 1 841929)
  (vectors 16 13559)
  (vector-slots 8 189901 19612)
  (floats 8 44 29)
  (intervals 56 1814 0)
  (buffers 984 13))